Traditional enchiladas get a better-for-you upgrade in this no-roll, cheesy quinoa bake.
Source: Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake recipe – from Tablespoon!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (white or red)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce (from 19-oz can)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (4 oz)
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Crumbled cotija (white Mexican) cheese, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) or 13×9-inch (3-quart) ceramic or broiler-proof baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add quinoa, chicken, black beans, green chiles, chili powder and 2 cups of the enchilada sauce; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese. Transfer quinoa mixture to baking dish. Top evenly with pepper Jack cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn oven control to broil. Place baking dish about 5 inches from broiler; broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from broiler. Top with sour cream, avocado, cilantro and cotija cheese. Serve immediately.
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms – Lovefoodies.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 – 20 minutes
8 oz or 225 g whole white mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of Cream Cheese. (you can also use low fat variety)
1 teaspoon of fresh or dry herbs, such as tarragon, basil, parsley
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
1. Heat a pan with a teaspoon of oil and add the mushrooms and garlic on medium heat. Stir and toss until soft and a little liquid is released from the mushrooms. If the mushrooms do not release any liquid, add a couple of tablespoons of milk or broth. (Sometimes, depending on the season, mushrooms can vary in juiciness!)
2. Then add the cream cheese and combine. Add the herbs and taste, season to your taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: To avoid the cream cheese from splitting, you should make sure the heat is not too hot, if you are not sure, remove the pan from the heat whilst you add the cream cheese, combine well, then return to a gentle heat until the sauce is bubbling gently and heated through completely. As you will know, anycream products have a tendency to split or curdle if you add them to any high temperatures, so do not turn the heat up!!
3. Serve straight from the pan, or you can transfer to an oven dish and place in the oven (covered) to keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Almond Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders.
Almond Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds or almond meal
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place ground almonds, Parmesan, salt and pepper into a shallow dish, stirring to combine. (If you have whole almonds on hand like we did, you can grind them in a powerful blender. We used ourBlendtec.)
- Place coated chicken strips into hot saute pan. Cook each side for about 3 minutes, until cooked through and browned. Remove strips from skillet and let cool on a baking rack or paper towel lined plate. Serve warm with your favorite chicken strip dips. My boys enjoy ketchup, yogurt Ranch, mustard and honey.
Makes 8 Servings
Cheddar Bay Chicken Bake
Tender chicken breasts in marinara are topped with buttery Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits for an amazingly simple one-dish meal!
Author: Danielle Green
Recipe type: Entree
1 box. Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix
¾ c. cold water
½ c. shredded cheddar
½ c. green onions, chopped
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
12 oz. marinara
½ c. butter, melted
Saute the chicken breasts for 8 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
Meanwhile, combine the biscuit mix with water, cheddar and green onion. Set aside.
In a sprayed 9×13 pan, layer the marinara, chicken breasts and prepared biscuit mix. Spoon the biscuit mix over the chicken breasts to cover completely.
Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
Combine the melted butter and seasoning packet from the biscuit mixture and brush over the top of the casserole. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.
BBQ Chicken COBB Salad with Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
A southwestern style COBB salad with BBQ chicken and a creamy cilantro and lime ranch dressing.
4 strips bacon
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup bbq sauce
6 cups lettuce, sliced
1 cup tomato, diced
1 cup black beans
1 cup corn (~2 ears), preferably grilled or charred
1 large avocado, diced
4 hardboiled eggs, diced
1/4 cup feta, crumbled
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, torn
1/4 cup cilantro lime ranch dressing
Cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, about 10 minutes, before setting aside on paper towels to dream.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and grill or pan fry it over medium-high heat until cooked through and lightly golden brown, about 4-6 minutes per side, before setting aside to cool, slicing and mixing in the BBQ sauce.
Assemble the salad and enjoy!
Easy Fruit Trifle | Chef in Training.
EASY FRUIT TRIFLE
- fresh pineapple
- fresh strawberries
- seedless green grapes
- seedless red grapes
- 1¼ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple
- 1 (3.25 oz) package instant banana cream pudding, dry
- Layer fruit in a large bowl or trifle bowl.
- For the topping, whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Spread over the top of trifle.
- arrange any extra fruit on top for a pretty presentation.
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes – frozen Nutella discs makes it a breeze to make the Nutella stuffed pancakes! – http://pinterest.com/pin/A-UhcAAQQAYDPFJ-qLUAAAA/?s=3&m=wordpress
10 – 14 tbsp Nutella
1½ cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup + 2 tbsp milk (I used low fat)
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1 tsp butter, separated (2 x ½ tsp)
Sliced strawberries (optional)
Frozen Nutella Disc
Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper).
Dollop 1½ to 2 tbsp of Nutella onto the baking tray and spread into a disc around 2½” / 6cm in diameter and ⅕” / ½ cm thick. (Note 1) Repeat to make 7 discs.
Place the tray in the freezer until firm (around 1 to 1½ hours).
Peel off the parchment paper. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required (they soften quickly).
Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Make a well in the centre and place the Wet Ingredients in the well. Whisk until combined and lump free (stop whisking as soon as it is smooth, don’t over whisk).
Melt ½ tsp butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, wipe most of the butter off with a paper towel. (Note 2)
Take 3 Frozen Nutella Discs out of the freezer just before you start cooking. (Note 3)
Dollop ¼ cup of batter into the fry pan. Working quickly, place 1 Frozen Nutella Disc in the middle of the batter, then top with batter to cover the Nutella disc (Note 4).
When bubbles start appearing around the edges (around 2 minutes), lift up the edge and make sure the underside is golden. Then flip and cook until the other side is golden.
Repeat with remaining batter. Melt more butter in the pan after the 3rd or 4th pancake. You should be able to make 7 in total, but sometimes it makes 6 – depends on how much batter you use on top of the Nutella.
Serve warm with sliced strawberries, if using. You could also serve with cream but I find that it’s not necessary!
1. Don’t make the Nutella discs too thin otherwise they may break when you handle them. But on the other hand, don’t be too greedy and make them too big otherwise they will ooze out everywhere when you’re making the pancake!
2. Wiping most of the butter off is the secret to getting the first pancake an even golden brown rather than splotchy which is what usually happens!
3. The Nutella discs soften quickly. They need to stay firm in order to handle them. I work in 2 batches – take 3 Nutella discs out of the freezer, cook 3 pancakes, then repeat. I found that by the time I got to the 4th pancake, the Nutella discs were starting to soften.
4. I use a ¼ cup measure and fill it about ⅔ of the way up then dollop that on top of the Nutella. You don’t need a full ¼ cup of batter to cover the Nutella, the pancake becomes too big and thick. Use the edge of the cup to spread the batter to cover the Nutella. You have to work quickly because once the Nutella disc is on the batter, it melts quickly and it is almost impossible to spread batter on top of melted Nutella.
5. If you get a pancake that “bursts” and Nutella spills onto the fry pan, scrape the Nutella off before making the next one. Otherwise you’ll get burnt bits of Nutella on your next pancake!
3 – 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
(about 1.5 lbs. or 4 1/2 cups)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, cooled and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 green onions, sliced (green parts only for low-FODMAP/low-fructose)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ baking pan or casserole dish.
Spread half of the diced potatoes in bottom of pan. Place the diced chicken breasts evenly on top. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half the bacon crumbles, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and half the green onions.
Spread the remaining diced potatoes on top, followed by the remaining bacon, another 1/2 cup cheese, remaining green onions and another 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour heavy cream over top of casserole and then dot with the butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. In the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until melted. Serve.
I know Easter already passed but these are some adorable cookies. These would be great for a party. Click on the link to see how to create these cute Mickey Mouse Easter Basket cookies. http://bakingdom.com/2013/03/mickey-mouse-easter-basket-cookies.html