4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as necessary and for greasing the baking dish
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
7 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 bananas, thinly sliced
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Butter an 8-inch square baking dish; set aside. Microwave 3 tablespoons of the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl or liquid measure to melt, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Whisk together the flour, 3 tablespoons of the granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, 2 of the eggs and the melted butter in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat; melt a little of the remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet. Working in batches, spoon 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into the skillet, and cook until the bottom is golden brown and small bubbles appear on the top, 2 to 3 minutes; flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 minutes. If the pancakes brown too quickly, reduce the heat to medium-low. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a plate. Repeat until all the batter is used, adding more butter to the pan as necessary. (You should have at least 12 pancakes.)
Whisk together the half-and-half, vanilla, the remaining 5 eggs and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
Shingle half the pancakes in the prepared baking dish. Scatter half the sliced bananas and chocolate chips over the pancakes. Pour half the egg mixture evenly over the pancakes. Repeat with the remaining pancakes, bananas, chocolate chips and egg mixture. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to overnight to allow the pancakes to soak in the custard.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap, cover the dish loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until golden brown, the custard is set and the center feels firm but springy, about 30 minutes more. Let cool 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
From Food Network Kitchen
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chocolate-banana-pancake-breakfast-casserole.html?soc=socialfnvideo&oc=linkback
Get the recipe for Chocolate-Banana Pancake Breakfast Casserole via @FoodNetwork:
Source: Chocolate-Banana Pancake Breakfast Casserole Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network
First start by mixing your milk, egg,vanilla, and butter together.
🍴 add in your salt, baking soda, and sugar.
🍴 slowly include your flour and mix until everything is a smooth combination.
🍴 pour your mixture into a giant gallon baggy or if you have a icing bag or funnel. Set aside for a few minutes.
🍴 Pour about a 1/2 inch of vegetable oil into a deep frying pan. Let it heat up for about 2 minutes of high then turn down to a low medium. To test if the oil is hot enough drip a small dot of the batter into the oil. If it frys up, then its ready.
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms – Lovefoodies.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 – 20 minutes
8 oz or 225 g whole white mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of Cream Cheese. (you can also use low fat variety)
1 teaspoon of fresh or dry herbs, such as tarragon, basil, parsley
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
- Microwave Oven
- The Recipe
1. Heat a pan with a teaspoon of oil and add the mushrooms and garlic on medium heat. Stir and toss until soft and a little liquid is released from the mushrooms. If the mushrooms do not release any liquid, add a couple of tablespoons of milk or broth. (Sometimes, depending on the season, mushrooms can vary in juiciness!)
2. Then add the cream cheese and combine. Add the herbs and taste, season to your taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: To avoid the cream cheese from splitting, you should make sure the heat is not too hot, if you are not sure, remove the pan from the heat whilst you add the cream cheese, combine well, then return to a gentle heat until the sauce is bubbling gently and heated through completely. As you will know, anycream products have a tendency to split or curdle if you add them to any high temperatures, so do not turn the heat up!!
3. Serve straight from the pan, or you can transfer to an oven dish and place in the oven (covered) to keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Almond Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders.
Almond Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds or almond meal
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place ground almonds, Parmesan, salt and pepper into a shallow dish, stirring to combine. (If you have whole almonds on hand like we did, you can grind them in a powerful blender. We used ourBlendtec.)
- Place coated chicken strips into hot saute pan. Cook each side for about 3 minutes, until cooked through and browned. Remove strips from skillet and let cool on a baking rack or paper towel lined plate. Serve warm with your favorite chicken strip dips. My boys enjoy ketchup, yogurt Ranch, mustard and honey.
Makes 8 Servings
Easy Fruit Trifle | Chef in Training.
EASY FRUIT TRIFLE
- fresh pineapple
- fresh strawberries
- seedless green grapes
- seedless red grapes
- 1¼ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple
- 1 (3.25 oz) package instant banana cream pudding, dry
- Layer fruit in a large bowl or trifle bowl.
- For the topping, whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Spread over the top of trifle.
- arrange any extra fruit on top for a pretty presentation.
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes – frozen Nutella discs makes it a breeze to make the Nutella stuffed pancakes! – http://pinterest.com/pin/A-UhcAAQQAYDPFJ-qLUAAAA/?s=3&m=wordpress
10 – 14 tbsp Nutella
1½ cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup + 2 tbsp milk (I used low fat)
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1 tsp butter, separated (2 x ½ tsp)
Sliced strawberries (optional)
Frozen Nutella Disc
Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper).
Dollop 1½ to 2 tbsp of Nutella onto the baking tray and spread into a disc around 2½” / 6cm in diameter and ⅕” / ½ cm thick. (Note 1) Repeat to make 7 discs.
Place the tray in the freezer until firm (around 1 to 1½ hours).
Peel off the parchment paper. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required (they soften quickly).
Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Make a well in the centre and place the Wet Ingredients in the well. Whisk until combined and lump free (stop whisking as soon as it is smooth, don’t over whisk).
Melt ½ tsp butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, wipe most of the butter off with a paper towel. (Note 2)
Take 3 Frozen Nutella Discs out of the freezer just before you start cooking. (Note 3)
Dollop ¼ cup of batter into the fry pan. Working quickly, place 1 Frozen Nutella Disc in the middle of the batter, then top with batter to cover the Nutella disc (Note 4).
When bubbles start appearing around the edges (around 2 minutes), lift up the edge and make sure the underside is golden. Then flip and cook until the other side is golden.
Repeat with remaining batter. Melt more butter in the pan after the 3rd or 4th pancake. You should be able to make 7 in total, but sometimes it makes 6 – depends on how much batter you use on top of the Nutella.
Serve warm with sliced strawberries, if using. You could also serve with cream but I find that it’s not necessary!
1. Don’t make the Nutella discs too thin otherwise they may break when you handle them. But on the other hand, don’t be too greedy and make them too big otherwise they will ooze out everywhere when you’re making the pancake!
2. Wiping most of the butter off is the secret to getting the first pancake an even golden brown rather than splotchy which is what usually happens!
3. The Nutella discs soften quickly. They need to stay firm in order to handle them. I work in 2 batches – take 3 Nutella discs out of the freezer, cook 3 pancakes, then repeat. I found that by the time I got to the 4th pancake, the Nutella discs were starting to soften.
4. I use a ¼ cup measure and fill it about ⅔ of the way up then dollop that on top of the Nutella. You don’t need a full ¼ cup of batter to cover the Nutella, the pancake becomes too big and thick. Use the edge of the cup to spread the batter to cover the Nutella. You have to work quickly because once the Nutella disc is on the batter, it melts quickly and it is almost impossible to spread batter on top of melted Nutella.
5. If you get a pancake that “bursts” and Nutella spills onto the fry pan, scrape the Nutella off before making the next one. Otherwise you’ll get burnt bits of Nutella on your next pancake!
3 – 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
(about 1.5 lbs. or 4 1/2 cups)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, cooled and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 green onions, sliced (green parts only for low-FODMAP/low-fructose)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ baking pan or casserole dish.
Spread half of the diced potatoes in bottom of pan. Place the diced chicken breasts evenly on top. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half the bacon crumbles, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and half the green onions.
Spread the remaining diced potatoes on top, followed by the remaining bacon, another 1/2 cup cheese, remaining green onions and another 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour heavy cream over top of casserole and then dot with the butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. In the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until melted. Serve.
So, How’s It Taste? No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake.
No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake
3 lbs. fresh strawberries, sliced
2 (8 oz.) tubs fat-free whipped topping (or use regular or light)
1 (14.4 oz.) box graham crackers
1/4 cup milk chocolate chip morsels
1. Spread a small amount of whipped topping on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan. Place 5 graham cracker sheets down the middle and break 2 more sheets into crackers to fit down the sides. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with more whipped topping and then a layer of sliced strawberries. Repeat three times, until you have four layers of graham crackers (you may be a few crackers short on the top layer, but that’s ok). You’ll end with a layer of strawberries on top.
2. Place milk chocolate chip morsels in a plastic bag. Microwave in 10 second intervals until melted. Snip the end of the plastic bag and drizzle chocolate over top of cake.
3. Refrigerate covered for at least four hours, or until the crackers have softened completely. Cake will last well for two days. It will still be good on the third day, but the strawberries will start to get juicy and leak into the whipped topping. It will still taste good, but it won’t be as pretty.
One lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, chilled to cool and diced*
One cup diced mini Persian cucumbers
3/4 cup sliced grape tomatoes
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup diced Kalamata olives
3 Tbsp sliced almonds
1/2 cup non-fat or low-fat plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried)
1 Tbsp lemon juice, preferably fresh
To a mixing bowl add, diced chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, red onion, Kalamata olives and sliced almonds. Add dressing and toss to evenly coat. Serve over bread, rolls, croissants, wraps, or in pita pockets. For best results serve within 3 hours of preparing (for best crunchiness of cucumbers and almonds), store in refrigerator.
For the dressing:
In a mixing bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together to blend and season with salt and pepper to taste.
*To cook the chicken I placed the raw chicken in the slow cooker, added 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth and a bit of salt and fresh ground black pepper then covered with lid and cooked on low heat until cooked through (4 – 6 hours depending on the size of the chicken breasts).